Skip to main content

License my pet

King County pet licenses are required for all dogs and cats eight weeks of age or older living in the Regional Animal Services coverage area. A pet license identifies and protects your dog or cat in case they get lost. Also, pet licenses offer lots of other great benefits as well, including our Free Ride Home program.

Pet licensing made easy

Whether you are purchasing a pet license for the first time, renewing an existing license, updating your pet's information or requesting a replacement tag - residents that live in the RASKC coverage area can access the online system anytime, anywhere.

Note for online licensing: A bank processing fee of 2.35% ($2 minimum) will be applied to all card transactions; a $1 fee will apply to all e-check transactions. No part of the convenience fee goes to King County.

Annual pet license fees

The fine for an unlicensed pet is $125 for an altered cat or dog, $250 for an unaltered pet.

License Type Annual Fee
Pet is unaltered (NOT spayed or neutered) and under six months old. Renewal is due in six months
Pet is spayed or neutered
Pet is NOT spayed or neutered
Owners with unaltered pets are eligible for a $25 coupon toward spay/neuter surgery - contact for info
Senior Discount
Pet is altered and owner is 65 years or older
Must provide owner's date of birth
Disabled Person
Pet is altered and owner has a disability
This license type is not available for purchase online - call 206-296-2712 for assistance
Service Animal
Animal has been trained to aid its owner with a disability. Annual confirmation of service animal status required
This license type is not available for purchase online - call 206-296-2712 for assistance
No fee
Replacement tag
Purchase in person, by mail, or by phone, or if renewing a license online, check the "Replacement Tag" box

Late fees

Late Fee Type Fee
45-90 days past expiration $15
91-135 days past expiration $20
136-364 days past expiration $30
365+ days past expiration $30 + prior year's license fee

General information

King County pet licenses are required for all dogs and cats eight weeks of age or older living in the Regional Animal Services coverage area. A pet license identifies and protects your dog or cat in case they get lost. Also, pet licenses offer lots of other great benefits as well, including our Free Ride Home program.

Even indoor-only cats or pets confined to fenced yards get loose and their licenses help assure you can be reunited with them. Licenses are inexpensive identification and are for your pet's protection and safety. License revenue also makes it possible to reunite lost pets with their families and fund adoption services for homeless pets.

RASKC provides service to the unincorporated portion of King County and the following contracting cities: Beaux Arts, Bellevue, Black Diamond, Carnation, Clyde Hill, Covington, Duvall, Enumclaw, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kent, Lake Forest Park, Maple Valley, Mercer Island, Newcastle, North Bend, Redmond, Sammamish, SeaTac, Shoreline, Snoqualmie, Tukwila, Woodinville, Yarrow Point.

Did you know?

Licensing your pet helps RASKC give thousands of animals a second chance by providing quality care to pets, including servicing the community with 24/7 animal control response. More importantly, a license protects your pet. Should your pet become lost, the person who finds them just needs to call the number on their tag (available anytime, any day) in order to help with the happy reunion.

Key benefits to licensing your pet

  • Found pets are reunited quickly with their owner. The Pet License office number is on the license. If someone finds your pet, they can call the number, get your contact information (even after hours) and reunite you and your pet.
  • Your pet gets a Free Ride Home the first time it is found. Our staff will attempt to deliver your pet home to you immediately, skipping a trip to the animal shelter.
  • Your pet gets a longer care period. When found, your licensed pet will be safely cared for at the Pet Adoption Center for a longer time.
  • You and your pet get the Vacation Pet Alert. When you leave home on vacation, call 206-296-2712 or email us at to register where your pet will be while you are on vacation, who will be taking care of your pet, and where to reach you. We will call the correct number if your pet gets loose during your vacation.
  • License fees support the return of hundreds of lost pets to their homes and help adopt thousands of homeless pets to new families every year. Pet license fees also fund investigation of animal neglect and cruelty, spay and neuter programs to reduce pet overpopulation, and community education services.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

King County issues permanent, stainless steel tags intended to last the lifetime of your pet. However, if your pet does lose its license tag, just mail us your tag number OR your name, address, and pet's name along with a check for $5 to RASKC, 201 S. Jackson St., Ste. 208, Seattle, WA 98104 and we will send you a new tag. Or, you can go to one of our convenient licensing locations to get a new tag. Most locations carry tags, except Petco.

Yes. If you are over 65, and your pet is spayed or neutered, you may qualify for a discounted pet license. This license costs $15 and is renewed annually.

Yes. If your pet is under six months old, you qualify for a $15 juvenile pet license that is good for six months. After that, the full pet license fee of $30 for a spayed/neutered pet or $60 for an unaltered pet applies.

Yes. King County canvassers issue temporary license tags for your dog(s) and/or cat(s) right at your door. This is a great convenience to you, and provides immediate protection for your pet. Canvassers may visit you if you live anywhere in our service area.

Door-to-door canvassers do NOT carry cash, and they do NOT accept payment on the spot. They also do NOT issue fines or citations. The free temporary license tags they issue need to be renewed with your payment by the last day of the following month.

Pet licensing canvassers have official King County photo identification and wear bright blue polo shirts or windbreakers or a winter jacket with the pet licensing logos. Hours are generally Sunday noon to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday 4:30 to 8:30 p.m., and Saturday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. When a canvasser comes to your door, please welcome them.

Yes. If you have a disability and use a service animal to assist you, you can receive a King County pet license at no cost. Once we receive your completed pet license application, a free license will be sent to you.

RASKC defines a service animal as an animal that does work, performs tasks, or provides medically necessary support for the benefit of an individual with a disability.

While the pet license fee is waived, you will receive an annual renewal notice requesting your confirmation that your animal is still being used as a service animal. If you keep the animal after it retires from service, an annual pet license fee will be due.

If you no longer have your pet due to their death or being rehomed, please email us at or call the RASKC pet licensing office at 206-296-2712.

Proprietors of hobby kennels and catteries or guard-dog related businesses in the RASKC service area require specific licenses. Download our Pet-Related Business Flyer for details, or call 206-296-7387 for more information.

Public Health - Seattle & King County also regulates and issues permits for many pet-related businesses including pet shops, aquariums, commercial kennels and catteries, pet groomers, dog daycares, animal shelters, certain pet food retailers, and businesses such as feed stores selling live poultry. For more information about these services, please visit the Public Health Pet Business webpage.

The online transaction fee is charged by our payment processor, not by King County. As a government agency, we are required to pass that cost on to the end user. King County does not receive any portion of the fee. If you want to avoid the fee, you can purchase or renew a pet license by mail, or you can visit one of dozens of pet licensing locations throughout our region to purchase or renew in person.

When you select the "purchase new license" button, the system begins by verifying your location and service provider. Another way to determine if you live in our service area is by simply emailing us at or calling us at 206-296-2712.